f

My Doctors Just Glance at My Hair and Say It’s OK, But I Know I Have Hair Loss!

Hi doc, I’m a big fan!!

I saw a post where you mentioned the importance of consulting a doctor before taking meds for hair loss but what is your take on people self diagnosing and self medicating? The doctors I go to don’t do miniaturization test or bulk analysis. Instead, they just glance at my hair and tell my hair is okay. But I am sure I’m having hair loss although my hair looks full.

I could find many miniaturized (thin and lifeless) hairs mostly among the MPB regions. They pull out easily. The density of hairs in the MPB regions is very less compared to the permanent zone. I could scratch my scalp and easily find fine unpigmented hairs with dandruff flakes. Also the MPB region alone is super oily.


I would classify myself as Norwood 1.5 with very minor crown loss. I have been researching online for more than five years. I already bought a strip of Proscar and am waiting to take it.


BTW I’m 25 years old from India. I wish I could come and consult at yours. Sorry for the boring post, but your opinion sure will mean world to me!



The ability to check for miniaturization is in an easily available electronic hand microscope. Place the microscope against a small pea size area of scalp, and look at it. Count the hairs that are thick and then those that are thin. Miniaturization is present when the percentage of thin hairs exceed 20% of the total.


An alternative would be to have one of your friends do it for you with a non-electronic hand microscope. There can be purchased in the US for about $7, but I am sure they are also available in India.


If you’re under a Norwood class 2, I wouldn’t consider that to be hair loss. That said, there could be a good reason for your doctors to not prescribe you the drug, and I would not suggest taking a finasteride (Propecia / Proscar cut into 4 pieces) without a prescription.








from Hair Loss Information http://ift.tt/1g8kkEY