f

I Was Diagnosed with PCOS Six Years Ago and I’m Losing My Hair!

I am 23 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 and was placed on birth control pills. I started to take them regularly, but they started making me sick, so I quit taking them and didnt take them for several years. Just recently I went back the the practitioner who diagnosed me with this and she placed me on a slow-release iron tablet daily along with a new birth control that has iron in it.

I have started losing hair around the middle-back of my head mainly around the crown area. It looks like my part is getting a lot wider, and the part is spreading down to the back of my head. I used to have really thick curly hair but now it is getting thin around the top, and in some patchy areas.


At first, since I am a Registered Nurse, I thought stress was causing it. The last time I went to the doc, she said I was anemic with low iron levels, hence putting me in daily iron, so I thought my anemia was causing it. I’ve been on and off birth control, so I thought that could be another cause.


Am I too young to use a topical treatment such as Rogaine? or Sephren? Sephren is an oral and topical treatment for hair loss in women. What do you recommend? I feel like I am losing more and more hair by the day and it really stabs a knife into my self image and self confidence. I’m desperate for some answers. I wish someone would lead me in the right direction so I can start growing hair in those thinning spots. I don’t want to be bald by the time I’m 30. PLEASE HELP!!



Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) causes hair loss in women who can also inherit the genes for balding/thinning. It is a very difficult condition to treat, as the treatment is often unsuccessful. Since you’re already under the care of a doctor, I’m not sure what I can offer. You need a good doctor/patient relationship.


Hormone therapy might help with the PCOS-related hair loss, though since you mentioned stress and anemia, those are other potential reasons for your thinning hair. I just have no way to know what is causing your loss, or whether it is a combination of things. You aren’t too young for minoxidil (also known as Rogaine, which is FDA approved to treat female hair loss), but the oral Sephren is just a vitamin supplement with no peer-reviewed published clinical evidence that it works.


There is a new cosmetic treatment that we’ve mentioned here called Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) which we offer to address the thinning problem in many women. One such patient can be found here.








from Hair Loss Information http://ift.tt/1kYwB6w