f

I Had 7 Scalp Reductions — What Can I Do to Reduce or Remove the Lump of Excess Scalp Skin?

Hi Doctor Rassman:

I have a question about corrective surgery to repair Hair transplant scars and scalp reduction scars and lumps.


I had several hair transplants and a total of 7 scalp reductions back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s from Dr. Martin Unger. With regards to the hair transplants, they were the typical 4 or 5 mm punch grafts I guess. The outcome was good but the donor area, which is covered pretty good by hair looks like a war zone if I were to shave my head or cut the hair anywhere shorter than a few cm’s on the sides and back.


I’d love to get FUE’s into the scar areas but I’m wondering how effective that would be in covering it up. I’m not interested in SMP cause if I do any corrective surgery, it is with the intention of wearing my hair very short and keeping it natural, using real hair.


With regards to the scalp reductions, as mentioned I had 7 of them. So I basically have hair up to the scalp reduction on both sides of the scar. I also have wavy hair so that helps to cover up the scar. But I would say the scar is about 5 or 6 inches long and maybe a quarter inch wide. Could that be filled up with FUE’s?


Another big problem after having 7 reductions is that at the crown / back of my head where the scar ends, there is a lump of excess skin left over from having the scalp excised seven times but excess skin build up behind the scar where the skin wasn’t cut out. It’s not a dog ear scar, just a lump, probably the size of quarter / half dollar and maybe 1cm high compared to the rest of the scalp, kinda like a mound. I’m sure you’ve seen that. It’s basically covered with moderate coating of hair but still visible if someone was looking at the back of my head from a close distance. God forbid if I let someone touch my hair. Even my wife and kids know NEVER to touch my hair. LOL!


So my question is, can that lump be excised or reduced in size?


Basically my intention is just to try to make my scalp, with very short hair, look as normal as possible. My hair, now if I keep it long looks like death. What I mean by that is it looks like it is on life support knowing that it should have fallen out decades ago but just as been kept growing by artificial means. LOL, hence I want to keep it short one or two cm long, shorter on the sides and back.


Back then I was young and naive and desperate and although I’m sure Dr. Unger had good intentions he never told me just to cut my hair short and move on. Now I’m using a shitload of treatment just to keep my hair for the sole purpose of not wanting to thin,especially on top so that the scalp reduction scar and is visible. Then I’d look like a freak. If I had no scars, hadn’t had any surgery, I’d just shave it cause hair to me now is not so important as it was back when I was 21 (I’m 49 now)


Just to show you how crazy my treatment is:

Proscar (5mg a day) Been on that since it first came out so going on 21 years.

Dutasteride (1 mg a day) been on that too since it first came out, maybe 8 years??

Minoxidil 5 and 15% daily

Nizoral shampoo

LLLT


Thanks!



While you may say your case is “crazy”, there are many men in your similar predicament. Dr. Pak and I have seen and treated many men in your similar situation with a combination of a hair transplant, scar reduction, and SMP.


I really cannot advise you on your specific options without examining you in person. Repair cases like yours are unique with each person. BaldingBlog is more for general question and answers. If you would like a consultation please email me at hairdoc@newhair.com or call my office to speak to me or Dr. Pak at (310) 553-9113. It would be best if you email photographs (held absolutely confidential) and include your phone number, and either Dr. Pak or I will call you.








from Hair Loss Information http://ift.tt/1ls23qK